Employee Volunteer Program
Henrico County Public Schools encourages area businesses and community members to volunteer in our schools throughout the school division. In order to provide the same opportunities to our employees, we developed a program to allow employees to volunteer in a Henrico County Public School during the workday. Below are the guidelines and procedures to participate in the HCPS Employee Volunteer Program.
- Employees may volunteer up to 2 hours per month (includes drive time), during work hours, at any school in the county.
- Volunteer opportunities are available by clicking Employee Volunteer Opportunities
- The employee must seek pre-approval and discuss time off with his/her immediate supervisor. Instruction and day-to-day operations are always the most important priorities so the principal or supervisor will make the final decision on whether or not the time is approved as volunteer leave.
- Employee Volunteers should also contact the school principal or designee, where they would like to volunteer, for approval/denial of the volunteer opportunity.
- Employee Volunteers must take a form (Employee Volunteer Sign In Sheet) with them to the school where they volunteer and have the principal or designee sign it. The form should be sent to the Communications & Community Outreach Department.
- Employee must sign in and out on the visitor check-in list upon arriving and leaving the school.
- Employee Volunteers must follow the rules of the school.
- Employee Volunteers must also wear a name badge while at the school.
Please Note: If an employee volunteer has a need to contact or interact with a student outside of school or school hours (for example, to attend a mentoring field trip), parents must be contacted and approve the activity in advance. This event would not be considered part of the volunteer program.