If you would like to become a volunteer, please complete the volunteer/mentor application and take it to the school in which you would like to volunteer.
Volunteer of the Month
Each month, one volunteer within our school system is recognized. Only HCPS employees may submit nominations. The HCPS Volunteer of the Month will receive special recognition at the monthly school board meeting.
Nominees should exemplify at least one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate the initiation or implementation of a volunteer program that aligns with the HCPS strategic plan.
- Demonstrate outstanding performance in volunteer duties.
- Demonstrate a high level of willingness to help others within the school (staff members, volunteers, students).
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to the volunteer program.
- Demonstrate and maintain good relationships with staff members, volunteers and students.
Information on the Background Checks for Volunteers
The safety and security of the school community is a top priority of Henrico County Public Schools. For your protection and that of the students and staff, the school system conducts a check with the National Sex Offender Public Website which includes the Virginia State Police "Registry of Sexual Offenders and Crimes against Minors" on all school personnel and volunteers. Anyone convicted of a misdemeanor or felony offense, especially an offense against a minor, may be disqualified from volunteering depending upon the nature of the offense and/or volunteer activity.
Henrico County Council of PTA's www.hccpta.com
Congratulations to Carver, Short Pump and Rivers Edge Elementary Schools for earning the Parent Involvement Schools of Excellence Certification through the National PTA!
HCPS Employee Volunteer Program
Henrico County Public Schools encourages area businesses and community members to volunteer in our schools throughout the school division. In order to provide the same opportunities to our employees, we developed a program to allow employees to volunteer in a Henrico County Public School during the workday. Below are the guidelines and procedures to participate in the HCPS Employee Volunteer Program.
- Employees may volunteer up to 2 hours per month (includes drive time), during work hours, at any school in the county.
- Volunteer opportunities are available by clicking Employee Volunteer Opportunities
- The employee must seek pre-approval and discuss time off with his/her immediate supervisor. Instruction and day-to-day operations are always the most important priorities so the principal or supervisor will make the final decision on whether or not the time is approved as volunteer leave.
- Employee Volunteers should also contact the school principal or designee, where they would like to volunteer, for approval/denial of the volunteer opportunity.
- Employee Volunteers must take a form (Employee Volunteer Sign In Sheet) with them to the school where they volunteer and have the principal or designee sign it. The form should be sent to the Communications & Community Outreach Department.
- Employee must sign in and out on the visitor check-in list upon arriving and leaving the school.
- Employee Volunteers must follow the rules of the school.
- Employee Volunteers must also wear a name badge while at the school.
Please Note: If an employee volunteer has a need to contact or interact with a student outside of school or school hours (for example, to attend a mentoring field trip), parents must be contacted and approve the activity in advance. This event would not be considered part of the volunteer program.