Following these simple rules will help you stay safe on the bus.
- Always be on time at the bus stop.
- Always stand back from the curb.
- Always walk to and from the bus. Never run.
- Always wait your turn to get on or off the bus. Never to push or shove.
- Always stay in your seat unless the driver tells you otherwise.
- Always keep the aisle in the bus clear.
- Always talk quietly to the people sitting around you. Never yell and shout.
- Always obey the driver. His or her job is to look out for your safety.
- Always take at least 10 giant steps before turning when you get off the bus. This is so the driver can see you.
- Always wait for the driver’s OK before crossing the street.
- NEVER walk behind the bus.
- NEVER crawl underneath a school bus. If you drop something, tell the driver and he or she will tell you what to do.
Motorists are required to stop when a school bus is loading or unloading children, even if the school traffic safety devices are not functioning properly.
There are legal penalties for not stopping. Penalties can include:
- Reckless Driving charge
- Jail for not less than 12 months
- Fine of $2,500 (or BOTH)
- 4 points on your license
Check out the RULES for these various situations:
A driver approaching FROM ANY DIRECTION must stop and remain stopped until all children are clear of the highway and the bus is put in motion.
Undivided Highways or Streets:
All motorists must stop, EVEN IN THE CENTER TURNING LANE, and remain stoped until all children are clear of the highway and the bus is put in motion.
Divided Highways or Streets:
Motorists traveling in any of the lanes going in the same direction as the school bus, MUST STOP. Motorists on the highway on the other side of the physical barrier or unpaved area are not required to stop.
There is nothing more important than the safety of our children!