For the new high school and middle school scheduled to open
in 2010, a different process will be used. Click
here to go to the redistricting page for information about
The following is a basic outline of the guidelines used for
previous school redistrictings:
- The HCPS Department of Research and Planning identifies schools with capacity problems, gathers information about school utilization and availability of specific space, and determines if adjacent schools have sufficient space available in order to provide relief.
- The School Board reviews relevant data and directs the administration to analyze options for capacity relief.
- Once potentially affected schools are identified, the administration conducts information/input sessions in those schools with parents to explain the process and to gather input.
- After examining all input and possible alternatives, the administration develops potential boundary change scenarios that follow regulations and prepares data to show the effects of potential changes on the number of current students at affected sites. Possible alternatives are reviewed with appropriate staff and the attorney.
- The superintendent and staff review alternatives with School Board members.
- The school division schedules date for initial presentation of the proposed plan, public hearing date(s) and location(s), and the decision.
- The school division prepares and disseminates a public notice.
- Research and Planning meets with principals of the affected schools in order to review the proposed plan.
- The administration presents the proposed plan to the School Board at a public meeting.
- The School Board accepts a proposal for public review and comment.
- Information packets for affected schools and letters to parents and patrons in the affected area are mailed directly to families and sent home with students.
- The proposed plan and supporting information are shared with all PTA presidents and civic groups as needed.
- The School Board conducts a public hearing on the proposed plan.
- The School Board considers the public’s input and makes adjustments where appropriate and makes a decision based on available information.
Note: Some links in this section will
download files in PDF format.
If you do not have this software it is available for
free by clicking the logo below and following the
instructions for downloading and installing the software
on your computer.