School counseling programs in Henrico County Public Schools are designed to aid children in mastering the academic, personal/social, and career tasks which are essential to the development of academic, technical, and life skills. School counselors help young people understand the link between academics and future plans, develop skills in career exploration, acquire and maintain positive personal/social relationships and ultimately become responsible and productive citizens. Since the purpose of the counseling program is to help students succeed in school and in life, school counselors engage in activities with and for students that help them achieve student competencies identified in the State Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia. Student competencies define the knowledge, attitudes, and skills students should obtain and demonstrate in academic, career and personal social issues as a result of participating in a standards-based school counseling program.
Twenty-first century comprehensive K-12 school counseling ensures:
- Equitable access to educational and career exploration opportunities for all students
- Promotes a rigorous academic curriculum for all students
- Provides strategies for closing equity gaps
- Supports the development of skills to increase student success
- Fosters advocacy for all students
These program services are balanced between prevention and intervention and are based upon the needs of students. Program services include:
- individual counseling
- small group counseling
- classroom guidance
- consultation with the important adults in children's lives
- coordination of the school-wide counseling program and services with community agencies
School counselors are assigned to all of Henrico County's schools according to the student enrollment in each school. The ratio of school counselors and students is based on Virginia’s Standards of Accreditation. All professional school counselors in Henrico County Public Schools hold master's degrees.
Regina Brown, School Counseling Specialist