ESL Welcome Center
Campus of J.R. Tucker High School
2910 Parham Road
Henrico, VA 23294
- Assistance with registration
- Assessment of English language proficiency
- Information on school and community resource
- Required documentation:
- Original birth certificate
- Immunization record (K-12)
- Comprehensive physical exam (K-5 only)
- Report cards and transcripts from last school attended
- Proof of domicile in Henrico county (lease, deed, bill)
- If all documents are in order, registration proceeds. Parents receive assistance completing standard forms required by all schools. In addition to completing forms, parents and students discuss the Henrico County Code of Conduct, bus safety, report cards, the school calendar and other pertinent information.
- Assessment of Proficiency Level
As part of the registration process, students participate in an assessment of English language proficiency to determine the need for and level of ESL instruction.
- Transcript evaluation
High school students who have transcripts will have them analyzed in order to award credit/s for courses studied in their home country.
- Parents as Educational Partners (PEP)
PEP is designed to empower language minority parents to become decision makers and advocates for their children’s education. It targets parents of ESL students grades k-12 of any language or cultural background. It is free for all ESL parents and is offered in the fall at multiple locations for a period of 6 to 8 weeks. Information is available through the Welcome Center.
- The Welcome Center provides information relating to adult ESL courses offered through HCPS and the community as well as information relating healthcare, childcare, social services, and citizenship.
For more information, please contact the Welcome Center directly at 804-527-4604 or a staff member.
Welcome Center Staff
- Val Gooss - Educational Specilalist, ESL and World Languages, Welcome Center Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leslie Remington - ESL Department Chairperson email@example.com
- Ana Krieg – ESL teacher / Data management firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nancy Staples - ESL teacher / Parent liaison email@example.com
- Donna Storey - Registrar / Parent Resources firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carmen Coglio - Spanish language interpreter email@example.com